Saturday 20 November 2010

T10 Presentation: The Inbetween

When assembling this presentation, choosing pieces of work done for Unit 10 and thinking about what I wanted to say, the idea of ‘the inbetween’ was the most prevalent.

In terms of thinking about what I thought the course would be, what it is and what I want it to be (at least I think these were the general subheadings to the presentations) I decided that it was best to interrelate my studio work as much as possible to the MA, as by thinking in this manner I hope to add depth to my studio work, and a working case study to my Masters; vice to the versa.



With this in mind, I used our initial unit exercise, conveying 3 spaces from childhood: Urban, Landscape and Interior, to formulate what my previous perceptions of the city, urban design and planning were. This exercise highlighted the distance I felt from the urban as a child, the strongest memory being the chimneys of the oil refineries further around the coast (of Pembrokeshire). This led to the questioning of the divide between urban and rural felt, as having grown up in the countryside, the urban seemed far away, though how do we define the difference between Urban and Rural? Even in coastal towns there are buildings, and communities, and planning and design needed for activity to take place, therefore do we describe this planning as urban design? Something I think I need to explore.




The next use of ‘inbetween’ related to explorations done on site in Tottenham. A very green site, (rural or urban?) and the spaces experienced underneath outdoor railway bridges. Sat alongside my ‘interior’ memory of the loft of a shed at home, the image beneath the bridge felt more interior than exterior, a threshold, though not dividing one side of the path from the other in materiality or use, an inbetween between exterior and interior.




From early mappings of the site in Tottenham, problems of connection and legibility of the spaces available for public use were clear. Though the canal/river is littered with bridges, hardly any are for pedestrian use. There is a sensation of being lost, and no idea of what is there until explored. The study of ‘Rainham to the River’ as seen at the Mayor’s Great Spaces talk day could be useful in exploring what can be done to increase legibility and use of this green/reservoir space, creating connections through bridges and providing additional public buildings/spaces/amenities, to enhance the existing.

Simplified, I believe this course is an education in the inbetweens of professions: Planner/Architect/Urban Designer, and the whole umbrella of professions that have come up in previous discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment